Since it was created by Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing, if you don’t have kids you’ve probably never heard of No Name-Calling Week. In fact, I didn’t even hear of it in my role as a parent, but rather thanks to StumbleUpon. From their FAQ-
- What is No Name-Calling Week?No Name-Calling Week is an annual week of educational activities aimed at ending name-calling of all kinds and providing schools with the tools and inspiration to launch an on-going dialogue about ways to eliminate bullying in their communities.
- Who should participate?Anyone who wants to work towards eliminating harmful name-calling, harassment and bullying in their school can be a part of No Name-Calling Week, whether you are a teacher, student, guidance counselor, coach, librarian or bus driver.
I’d like to add anarchists, Left Libertarians, agorists, and the rest of our ilk to the list of those who should participate. For 30 years I’ve been a lone anarchistic voice in the wilderness. It’s only been within the last few months that I’ve been reaching out to other anti-government types on the ‘net in search of a community of like minded fellows. Instead, what I tend to find is a whole bunch of self-segmenting, labeling and name calling over exactly how we should go about removing the government and what it should be replaced with (if anything).
Does anyone think this is productive in any way? Does telling someone they aren’t an anarchist/Libertarian/agorist/whatever help the movement in any way? Does restricting who you’ll read or support based on the latest hypenated subcategory get the government out of anyone’s daily life? Does it help educate the masses on the evils of government? In my experience the answer to all of these questions is a resounding NO!
So here’s a new call to arms for all of you freedom loving bloggers out there – please make a genuine effort during the coming week of January 21-25 to avoid any name calling on your blog or in your comments on others blogs. It’s only five days, but it just may be the start of more civil discourse.
The Complete Applied Anarchy Series-
- What Is Applied Anarchy?
- Applied Anarchy – One Way I Legally Avoid Taxes
- Applied Anarchy: Financial Security Without Fiat Currency
- Practicing What We Preach
- Applied Anarchy: Why Anarchists Should Vote For Ron Paul
- Applied Anarchy – Parking Meters
- Applied Anarchy – Minimizing Your Income Tax Burden
- Sales Tax and Couponing For Cash
- Applied Anarchy – 12 Steps To Recovery
- Money Makes The World Go Round
- Doing Away With Fiat Currency
- Applied Anarchy – Free Market Health Care
- Applied Anarchy – How Would It Work?
- Applied Anarchy – Listen To Your Kids
- Happy Birthday Comrade Kropotkin!
- The Market Finally Takes Down DRM – Copyright Quivers In Boots
- Pushing The Political Easy Button
- A Call To Arms For Anarchist Bloggers
- Applied Anarchy – Voting As Self-Defense
- Applied Anarchy: Why Taxes Are Theft
- I’m Now A Silver AMPlifier for Free Talk Live!
- Applied Anarchy: You CAN Trust Politicians…
- How The Market Can Enforce Intellectual Property
- Applied Anarchy – Make Freedom A Bestseller
- Why Seek Liberation?