A lot of anarchists and (libertarians) are not yet willing to take the big step of ignoring the income tax altogether. But they’d still like to keep control of as much as their money as possible as long as possible. Self-employment (even as a consultant or independent contractor) is always the best bet for doing this, but many of us are stuck being wage slaves for one reason or another. And that means having the IRS yank big chunks of cash out of our paychecks every payday.
The simplest way to retain these funds while still covering your employer’s butt is to simply increase the number of exemptions you claim on your W-4. This will reduce both the state and federal withholding that is stolen from your check. However, it will leave you with a bigger tax bill at the end of the year and may increase your chances of an audit. If your financial situation is secure enough that you don’t have to worry about covering a big tax bill in April, then you may well want to go this route. It allows you control over your funds for the longest period of time outside of simply not paying their taxes at all.
However, many of us living paycheck to paycheck know that we’ll never be able to cover that ‘spring surprise’ from big mommy government. But, believe it or not, the IRS is here to help. Their website has a handy little exemptions calculator. You simply enter how much you’ve earned so far this year, how much they’ve already stolen from your check, and how much you expect to earn for the year, and they’ll tell you how many deductions to claim in order to get your tax bill as close to zero as possible. Since you’re going to be paying taxes anyway they’re not getting any information they don’t already have, and they don’t collect any personal data in the process, anyway.
Last year I was able to end the year with a total federal tax refund of $5.00. An amount I was more than willing to allow the government to keep in exchange for not filing a return.
The Complete Applied Anarchy Series-
- What Is Applied Anarchy?
- Applied Anarchy – One Way I Legally Avoid Taxes
- Applied Anarchy: Financial Security Without Fiat Currency
- Practicing What We Preach
- Applied Anarchy: Why Anarchists Should Vote For Ron Paul
- Applied Anarchy – Parking Meters
- Applied Anarchy – Minimizing Your Income Tax Burden
- Sales Tax and Couponing For Cash
- Applied Anarchy – 12 Steps To Recovery
- Money Makes The World Go Round
- Doing Away With Fiat Currency
- Applied Anarchy – Free Market Health Care
- Applied Anarchy – How Would It Work?
- Applied Anarchy – Listen To Your Kids
- Happy Birthday Comrade Kropotkin!
- The Market Finally Takes Down DRM – Copyright Quivers In Boots
- Pushing The Political Easy Button
- A Call To Arms For Anarchist Bloggers
- Applied Anarchy – Voting As Self-Defense
- Applied Anarchy: Why Taxes Are Theft
- I’m Now A Silver AMPlifier for Free Talk Live!
- Applied Anarchy: You CAN Trust Politicians…
- How The Market Can Enforce Intellectual Property
- Applied Anarchy – Make Freedom A Bestseller
- Why Seek Liberation?