Whatever really useful thing government does for men, they would do for themselves if there were no government. »» Anarchist Sticker, 1906

Applied Anarchy – One Way I Legally Avoid Taxes

Posted on August 16, 2007
Stumble it!  |  Email This Post Email This Post   |  Print This Post Print This Post   |

Part of the Applied Anarchy Series - Previous in series         Next in series

Philip Morris USA sent me a nice postcard the other day informing me that our wonderful Congressional “representatives” are once again considering raising the federal cigarette tax – by 156%. The current federal cigarette tax is $0.39 per pack, the new tax will be $0.90 per pack. This is projected to raise 9.44 billion dollars in revenue for the federal government and is on top of the state (and some local) taxes on cigarettes which currently average more than $1.00 per pack (NJ is the high at $2.75 while South Carolina (home of “big tobacco”) is the lowest at $0.07). I’m happy to say that despite the fact that I smoke around a pack a day almost none of that tax revenue is mine.

This is because I stopped buying cigarettes at my local shop a couple of years back. Instead I do my tobacco shopping online, from businesses like Cig2U. Not only does this allow me to keep a small amount of my hard earned cash from being whisked off to the pockets of thieves … er … bureaucrats, but it also saves a fair amount on the base price itself.

Here in California we currently have a cigarette tax of $0.87 per pack or $8.70 per carton (with a measure on the ballot this November to raise this to $3.47/pack or $34.70/carton!) A carton of name brand cigarettes (Camel, Marlboro, etc) at my corner store costs $43.00. Pretax price is around $35.00. Cig2U sells single cartons of Camel filters for $24.99 delivered to my front door. Marlboro Reds are only $26.99 for a single carton and if you buy 6 in one order (split with friends or stock up) they’re only $21.65 per carton.

These are not the bug-filled, poorly packed third world cigarettes but those made for the European market which are nearly indistinguishable from those purchased here in the states. And they’re available, delivered to your door, for less money then many people pay just in taxes for their cigarettes.

Part of the Applied Anarchy Series - Previous in series        Next in series
Tags: , , , , , , ,
Related Posts: » Filed Under: Applied Anarchy, Living Free, Shopping, Taxes
» Trackback to: Applied Anarchy – One Way I Legally Avoid Taxes

43 Responses to “Applied Anarchy – One Way I Legally Avoid Taxes”

Trackbacks

• Applied Anarchy: Practicing What We Preach : Philaahzophy
  • Eight Ways You Can Personally Help to Smash the State
  • Applied Anarchy 2007 (Collected) | Philaahzophy

43 Comments

1. Phim88 on 30.06.2009 at 05:59 (Reply)

Thanks you, very useful topic.

Nice that you help google translator ;)

2. E-Cigarette on 11.08.2009 at 10:57 (Reply)

Luckily, the day of the traditional cigarette and Big Tobacco is over. The electronic cigarette can be smoked in bars, restaurants, or anywhere. Finally the death of Big Tobacco is near, bearing the FDA does not put the kabash to electronic cigarettes in the best interests of Phillip Morris.

3. John on 15.09.2009 at 05:03 (Reply)

Yeh tobacco sucks, e cigs are better.

4. John on 15.09.2009 at 05:04 (Reply)

Actually let me rephrase that, government tobacco sucks, indian tobacco is good.

5. AlsoECIGFan on 17.01.2010 at 06:34 (Reply)

Yes, big tobacco is a power monger and has a lot of clout. It’s great that there is finally an alternative. The latest FDA ruling is also good news, but the fight is not over yet!

6. Alexander on 26.01.2010 at 08:27 (Reply)

I think the biggest advantage of the e cigarette is definately that you dont bother other people with your smoke anymore. I often felt bad for “poisoning” other people with my smoke.

I wonder why the FDA is causing troubles with the e cigarette. Its a great tool for many smokers to slowly quit. Just reduce the dose nicotine once in a while until you reach zero.

Created my own small german blog about the e cigarette. Its not very popular here yet. Might be the only e smoker here in germany haha.

Thanks for your article. Love your blog keep it up!

7. chien on 25.02.2010 at 01:31 (Reply)

That is really a neat way to avoid or lessen taxes. Have you tried quitting smoking even once? I have seen this new technology that they call e-cigarettes. It has the look and feel of a real cigarette minus the harmful effects of smokes. It only emit vapor which is allowed in public so it means you have the freedom to use e-cigarettes anywhere! It is the most effective way to stop the bad habit of smoking and living a healthier lie with vapor of e-cigarettes.

8. Joe Sweeney on 17.04.2010 at 19:41 (Reply)

Great site, i hate taxes!

9. Electronic Cigarette Lounge on 14.07.2010 at 01:27 (Reply)

They have really been cranking up the taxes on tobacco in Colorado as well. The thing that really bothers me though is that there is a new law in colorado that requires online businesses to collect taxes on sales in colorado. Luckily most are still not collecting it haha!

10. emery cat on 01.04.2011 at 13:57 (Reply)

i live in sweden and here the cigarrettes are really expensive but Í dont no actually how it is compare to the us.

11. remo obertello on 28.03.2012 at 13:31 (Reply)

I used to smoke and thank the lord I quit, here in New York a pack of cigs now costs $10.
    Intersting site, good information.

12. Mark V on 12.08.2013 at 20:16 (Reply)

I love e-cigarettes! Started 3 years ago and I’ve never looked back. Its insane the taxes on cigarettes and they are always going up. It my option these taxes are a forceless prohibition attempt by our government. Keeping Big Tobacco happy at the same time. rnrnThe FDA can kiss my mule! Companies like Blu are owned by big tobacco companies! They are the ones screaming for regulations. Why? Because dozens of small business owners got into the market years before they did.These companies would be off the map if they needed to do $10000s of research to meet regulations they fda is trying to pass. If they are gone big tobacco again controls the market. Sell you both your cigarettes and e-cigs. rnrnAlso keep in mind the FDA was created to protect us. They protect us by allowing Drugs to help depression that have side effects of “may cause increase thoughts of suicide” WFT! Really. YUP! Thats your FDA .rnrnI shop a at few of these small businesses listed below. Both have excellect customer service, and unlike the Big Tobacco e-cigarette companies they want to help not just take your money.rnrnwww.vaporgurus.com and kalamzoovaporshop.com